State Level Bankers’ Committee, set-up as per the Lead Bank Scheme of the Reserve Bank of India. SLBC is the highest body of bankers in the state. It is an inter-institutional forum for coordination and joint implementation of development programmes and policies by all the financial institutions operating in the state.
Representatives of RBI, NABARD, SIDBI, all Commercial Banks, Cooperative Banks & RRBs in the State, state land development bank, the concerned secretary/director of finance department of State Government & planning secretary of state Government are the major members of SLBC.
The forum takes the lead in initiating, streamlining and accelerating the process of development in close co-ordination with various agencies. The quarterly meetings are attended by top-level functionaries of member institutions of SLBC to formulate and implement Annual Credit Plans for getting in time district-wise resource allocation by banks and desegregation of the various Government Programmes.
Following are some functions of SLBC:
- To discuss issues, consider alternative solutions to the various problems in the field of banking development and evolve consensus for coordinated action by the member institutions.
- To examine the inter-institutional coordination in the formulation and implementation of the Annual Credit Plans
- Confirming/ratifying the action initiated by the Steering Committee of SLBC.
- To review Credit Deposit Ratio, Priority Sector Advances to Weaker Sections, financing of Minority Communities etc.
- Identifying major constraints impeding the development of the district’s economy and roping in appropriate agencies to take remedial measures. Formulation of Annual District Credit Plan and its implementation.
- To take up for consideration such issues as have been raised by the member banks and/or the State Govt. authorities and questions of inter-bank differences of views and approach remaining unresolved at the District Level Consultative Committees.
- To solve operational problems in implementations of Service Area Approach, Credit Plans, Government and other Agencies programmes, etc. to discuss about the availability of adequate infrastructural facilities, forward and backward linkages necessary for successful implementation of the schemes.
- To serve as a focal point for banking system in the state for securing better liaison with the State Government authorities.
- To undertake/entrust study of any specific problems in implementation of Lead Bank Scheme, Service Area Approach, Development Programmes, etc.
Dena Bank is the convener of SLBC in Gujarat state and UT of Diu&Daman and UT of Dadra Nagar Haveli.